Sunday, April 19, 2009

Attend Reduction in Force Hearings!

If you received a Reduction in Force notice (a pink slip), the Education Code gives you the right to attend hearings to make sure that your position is secure. Sub days to attend RIF hearings are not deducted from your pay. If you do not have the sub code, the easiest way to get it is to ask your site rep or to call the MDEA office at 925-676-4664.

The meetings are as follows:
April 23, 2009 - Starting at 9:30AM - 5:00PM
April 24, 2009 - Starting at 9:30AM - 5:00PM
April 27, 2009 - Starting at 9:30AM - 5:00PM
We (MDEA) are recommending that all noticed teachers call for a sub for the first two (2) scheduled hearing days, April 23 & 24th, If any unresolved issues remain beyond April 24, we will ask specific teachers to call for a sub for April 27th.

Please note that if there are not enough subs, you still have the right to attend the RIF hearings and it is responsibility of the school site to provide coverage for the students.
If you or teachers at your site have additional questions/concerns around impacts precipitated by the RIF hearing, please don't hesitate to call the MDEA office or to leave a comment here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a parent in the district, I want to know why you are asking teachers to do this. I was under the impression that only teachers who had a discrepancy in their paperwork needed to go to this hearing. Why spend $117,000 (600 teachers, x $97.50 per day per sub, x 2 days) when you don't HAVE to go? Really, that could save a job or two.

Jennifer Batson said...

Elementary instrumental music teachers normally do not have substitutes provided. Should we attend the meeting anyway?

Anonymous said...

As a teacher that got a pink slip I would like to go in the hopes of knowing my fate. Also, we do not get access to all paperwork. I know how many positions are being cut, 9 in my subject, but I know that over 30 teachers in the subject got a pink slip, so I hope to get my slip taken back. 424 positions are on the chopping block, yet 641 pink slips went out.

Carissa said...

Dear Parent,
Several teachers have asked the same question you brought up--also given that many teachers don't want to leave their students just before STAR testing and the AP exam.

First off, after a teacher's issue is heard, they are expected to immediately return to work and cancel the sub for the remainder of the hearings.

Unfortunately, there are discrepencies and in many cases the teacher is not even aware of their ranking compared to other teachers at other sites. If a teacher does not go to the hearing he/she will never know about the discrepency.

I'll use myself as an example. I started in Jan of 2001. When the new school year began, I did not have to attend new teacher meetings. Because of this, my ranking was/is lower than several other science teachers that started in Aug of 2001 because they officially began 2 days before I did. In the 2001-2002 year I received a pink slip, I did not attend the hearings. This issue came up and several teachers had their ranking changed. I did not because I did not attend the hearing. Fortunately, in my case I did not lose my job, but if it were this year, I would be out of a job.

At my site, 38 of 87 teachers received a pink slip. Many of those teachers, while understanding, are very upset and have already begun looking for other jobs. Our site has estimated that we will lose 7 positions for next year. So what about those 31 teachers who received pink slips who will most likely have a job in the fall?

The district pink slipped so many teachers in order to cover all of the discrepencies in the paperwork. Discrepencies, that in many cases, teachers won't know about until they attend the hearing.

If the district were to rescind 100 to 200 pink slips immediately, that would put many teachers at ease, and it would reduce the cost of the hearings.

Carissa said...

Jennifer,
Yes, it is your right to attend the hearings. You would still call the sub system to log your absence for the hearings and have it not come out of your sick leave--ask your site manager if you need to request a sub as well. If the answer is yes, then leave sub plans.

Hope this information is helpful.